The park will open to the public on 18 March 2010
Universal Studios Singapore Press Release:
Ride the Movies™ at Universal Studios Singapore® - This March 2010
Universal Studios Singapore, the region’s widely-anticipated attraction in Resorts World Sentosa, has concluded its sneak peek week to rave reviews and continues its opening process with team members, invited guests and charitable organizations building up to start welcoming the public in March. Located within one of the world’s most extensive and expansive tourism projects – the US$4.4 billion Resorts World Sentosa – Universal Studios Singapore will bring to life the best movie-themed attractions packed within seven zones ranging from Hollywood, Far Far Away™ to Sci-Fi City™ and The Lost World™.
As part of its staff-appreciation perks, the park’s first guests will be team members of Resorts World Sentosa, who will be the first to enjoy Universal Studios Singapore with their families from 13 March, before the park opens to the public at 8.28 am on 18 March 2010.
Tan Sri Lim Kok Thay, Executive Chairman of Resorts World Sentosa, said: “Universal Studios Singapore wrapped up a week of Chinese New Year sneak peeks to great reviews, and we are excited to be gearing up to take our first guests on the rides, which are naturally the highlight of the park. This is the region’s only Universal Studios theme park, and it will be a tourism crown jewel for not just Singapore, but Asia as a whole.’’
Mr. Tom Williams, Chairman and CEO, Universal Parks & Resorts, said: “We are thrilled to be taking the next step toward a grand opening, and we are excited that, at Universal Studios Singapore, guests from throughout the region will get to experience the excitement and adventure our parks are so well known for around the world.” Ticket sales for Universal Studios Singapore’s soft opening phase will begin at 9 am on 10 March. Since it is possible that certain attractions may become temporarily unavailable during the preview phase as Universal Studios Singapore continues its technical and creative adjustments, ticket prices will be partially rebated by shopping and dining vouchers valid for use at Universal Studios Singapore.
Tickets for the preview phase must be purchased online at www.rwsentosa.com, or via phone bookings at +65 6577 8899. Tickets can also be purchased for future dates only at the ticket booths from 9 am to 6 pm daily at Universal Studios Singapore. Limited tickets will be offered during the soft opening. Guests making their way to Resorts World Sentosa to purchase their tickets are encouraged to use public transport.
Presenting the 7 zones of Universal Studios Singapore®:
1. Hollywood: Step into the Hollywood Boulevard, where you will be surrounded by dynamic architecture, palm trees and the famous Walk of Fame. Experience the center of the entertainment universe where you will find the Pantages Hollywood Theater™ plus an eye-catching collection of eateries and shops lining the streets. Visit Mel’s Drive-In™ from the hit movie American Graffiti, and get burgers and cokes the old-fashioned way.
2. New York: Feel the spirit and energy of America’s biggest and grandest city as you stroll the sidewalks of the bold and romantic Big Apple that appears in all the great movies. Here all the classic landmarks of NYC prevail —the city skylines, neon lights, and facades that set the scenes for big city fun and real-time movie production. Go behind the scenes at Lights, Camera, Action!™, a special effects show hosted by Steven Spielberg. Sit down for a meal at the full service KT’s Grill™ or grab a slice of NY’s best pizza at Loui’s NY Pizza Parlor™.
3. Sci-Fi City™: The city of the future is here now. Walk through the impressive portals into Sci-Fi City, a futuristic metropolis filled with the most modern conveniences. The entire city is set atop an enormous energy-producing substructure that seems to draw its necessities from the wind, sun and water. Ride the Accelerator™ and see if you can keep your wits about you while madly spinning on this whirling attraction. Engage in the ultimate inter-galactic battle of Humans versus Cylons on the Battlestar Galactica™ dueling coasters, themed after the hit TV show.
4. Ancient Egypt: Ancient pyramids and obelisks stand fast against the sands of time as you are transported to 1920’s Egypt, the Golden Age of Egyptian Exploration. Travel to an era when entire Pharaoh’s tombs were discovered—and their terrible curses unleashed. Take the path of a daring archeologist as you unravel the cryptic riddles of the Sphinx in this sand-swept land. Quench your thirst at the Oasis Spice Café™ or shop for Egyptian treasures at Carter’s Curiosities™. Ultimately, experience the Revenge of the Mummy™ attraction, an expedition where you will be sure to have the time of your life.
5. The Lost World™: Universal fans will be delighted to visit two distinct but familiar themed areas: Jurassic Park™ and WaterWorld™. Jurassic Park, a theme park within a theme park, is based on Steven Spielberg’s classic epic adventure films. Visit the jungles of a Costa Rican rainforest where you will experience Jurassic Park Rapids Adventure™, a river ride that follows an escapade amidst the dense tropical forest where dinosaurs have been brought back to life. At WaterWorld™, watch death defying stunts that only Universal dares to execute, based on the hit film, “WaterWorld”. Explosions of fire and water will excite the audience with thrills and spills.
6. Far Far Away™: Visit the fantasy world of the Oscar-winning DreamWorks movie “Shrek”. Movie stars, talking donkeys…the land of Far Far Away showcases the lifestyles of the rich and fairy-taled. See how successful fantasy characters live within tall, graceful walls sweeping over a pavilion-covered courtyard. Experience the multi-dimensional and interactive attraction Shrek 4-D Adventure™ and sing with Donkey at Donkey LIVE™. Refresh with magical concoctions at the Fairy Godmother’s Potion Shop™ and enjoy the swooping, diving roller coaster flight of Enchanted Airways™.
7. Madagascar™: Based on the hit DreamWorks Animation film, Madagascar, this zone brings you to a dense tropical jungle, filled with strange and wonderful animals like lemurs and foosas. Bird calls and monkey screeches fill the air as you journey deeper into the equatorial rain forests of this African Island. Chill with some tasty bites and cool drinks at Marty’s Casa Del Wild™. Ride a crazy carousel spun around by King Julien and the Lemurs at King Julien’s Beach Party-Go-Round™ and coming mid-2010, you will experience Madagascar: A Crate Adventure™.
Resorts World Sentosa, one of the world’s most extensive and expensive integrated resorts at S$6.59 billion, was built in a record time of under three years. Resorts World Sentosa has soft opened its four hotels on 20 January 2010, its shopping and dining strip, FestiveWalk on 30 January 2010 and Singapore’s first casino on 14 February 2010, together with the Resorts World Convention Centre, which includes its Compass Ballroom, 26 function rooms and 1,600-seat Festive Grand theatre. Supporting the attractions are a 3,500-lot carpark facility, restaurants, retail stores, entertainment and public attractions that include Emmy-award winner Jeremy Railton’s Lake of Dreams and Chamber of Treasures.
About Resorts World Sentosa
Resorts World Sentosa will open the world’s largest Marine Life Park, its Maritime Experiential Museum, a destination spa and two remaining hotels with a total of 500 rooms in phase two development.
About Universal Parks & Resorts
Universal Parks & Resorts (UPR), a unit of General Electric’s (GE) NBC Universal, features some of the world’s most popular entertainment destinations. Each year, millions of guests visit Universal’s theme parks in Florida, California, and Japan to experience thrilling, world-famous attractions that combine interactive groundbreaking ride and show technology with the world’s most recognized characters in movies and pop culture.